George E. Wood
July 31, 1925-April 1, 2011
I first met grandpa in 2007 when Tom and I were first married. We met grandma and grandpa at a park and the first thing he did was give me a huge hug then instantly started teasing me and being sarcastic, that's when I knew we would get along great. He instantly made Matt and myself feel welcome into the family and treated us just like he would any of the other grand kids. The joke in the family is that grandpa was always the trouble maker and that grandma was the mean one, of course we (Matt and myself) didn't know this was the joke but the second time that we met grandpa and grandma Matt looked at grandma with a disgusted look on his face and said
"Grandma, why do you have such mean eyes?"
I about died as the whole table erupted with uncontrollable laughter. Grandpa laughed the loudest and the longest, I secretly think he revelled in the fact that he was the "nice" one and grandma was the "mean " one. He has such an ability to love, make you feel loved like you're the only one in the world, and to make you laugh.
Through all of the jokes, tears and heartfelt conversations in his last moments in his life he was still going out of his way to make you feel special. We are so glad that we got to pend some time with him before he passed on April 12. We love you grandpa and you will be missed.
3 Weeks ago we got a call that Grandpa Wood was being taken off of dialysis and had only about 2 weeks to live. We quickly dropped everything and went straight up to Idaho to see him. It was so nice because we got to take both of the kids. We got to see so many cousins that we haven't seen for 3 years and some that we have never even met before. It was so amazing to be around the Wood side of the family.
Grandpa was amazing. He was still funny and had his sense of humor even though he was crying just about the whole time. He was amazed that there is so many of us that came up to see him and share the last moments of his life.
The whole fam with Grandpa
Matt now wants to move to Oregon so they can live by each other.
I guess we will be taking a trip to Oregon this summer so the boys can see each other again.
2 comments:
I enjoyed your blog. It is still hard knowing that he isn't here anymore. It was good to see everyone though. Grandma is amazing. All my love
Well said indeed! He was a pretty fun man, I think we will all miss him. I am so glad that we got to visit some and Lily has been asking for her Hallie to come back and play at her house:) We will ahve to plan our trip to Oregan together:) Love you guys! And I love you for your awesomeness:)
Post a Comment